DRESSING AN APPLE BODY TYPE.
DRESSING AN APPLE BODY TYPE.
Figuring out how to dress for your body shape can feel daunting, but trust us once you do it will be a lifesaver. After finding the shapes and silhouettes that work on your body type, you’ll never have to wonder if something looks good or waste a ton of time trying stuff on again. From our previous article on understanding your body type you know you’re an apple body type when:
- You may have full breasts and a wide back.
- Your arms could be slim, while your shoulders could be wide.
- You could have slim hips and a trim backside.
- You gain weight at the midsection.
What is flattering for the apple shaped body?
To be honest this is not the easiest body shape to dress as many women with this shape will be well aware of. Some women tend to cover it all up with loose garments, which in most cases is not the right thing to do as this can simply make you look larger.
What you do want to do is to create the nicest silhouette possible. You can do that by creating the illusion of a waist; highlight your cleavage, amazing legs and arms.
The Best Tops for an Apple Body Type
Look for shirts and tops that are loose around the middle rather than skin tight. Body-con tops draw attention to your midsection and can look unflattering. Some popular top styles include:
- Tunic Tops - Try out a floaty tee such as a tunic style top. It will skim around the waist.
- Empire Waist Tops - Try an empire waist top that begins under the bust to draw attention away from the stomach.
- Extra Long Tops - Wear tops that extend lower than your waist to reduce the chance of "muffin top" escaping from where your top meets your bottoms. If you like your hips to look a little more in balance with your bust, try a top that meets the largest point of the hips.
- Low Necklines - Choose lower and wider necklines like scoop, square, large V-neck or sweetheart to keep the eyes moving upwards. Pair that with a statement necklace for maximum effect.
The Best Bottoms for an Apple Body Type
When shopping for jeans, skirts &pants look for styles that will help to create a balanced silhouette. Avoid slim-cut styles like skinny jeans which can make you look top heavy. Skip mini-skirts which may draw attention to your larger upper half.
- Wide-Legged Trousers - Pants that flare out at the bottom will create a more even look between your upper and lower halves. Boot-cut, flared, and bell-bottom pants are all smart choices.
- A mid to high rise waist – these are fantastic at creating a waist. The high waist will help eliminate any chance of muffin top and is comfortable to boot.
- A-line, trumpet, ruffled and printed skirts-these are great options when shopping for skirts they add more volume to your lower body.
The Best Dresses for an Apple Body Type
Whether you want to highlight your bust or slim down your shoulders, try one of these super flattering dresses.
- A-line dresses- They make a great option for apple shapes as they balance out your larger bust while drawing focus towards your legs. This silhouette works for all lengths so you can rock a mini, midi or knee-length.
- Shift dresses- Shifts work well on apple shapes as they offer more room and comfort in the mid-section. Since the silhouette skims the outline of your torso, it keeps your tummy hidden while allowing your arms and legs to really stand out.
- Wrap, Ruched & Peplum dresses- wrap and ruched dresses can be your secret weapon they help create the illusion of a well defined waist line.
The Best Blazers for an Apple Body Type
You want to focus on pieces that will elongate your figure overall.
- Long Blazers-Shop for long blazers that are hip-bone length and nipped in at the waist
- Tuxedo blazers- This is the overall best silhouette for apple shapes
Please share your own tips on how to flatter the apple shaped body type in the comments section. If there are additional questions on how to wear particular looks and trends, please ask below and we’ll get you sorted.